CG 1200 S spider 1970
2019 Nationale Oldtimerdag - Lelystad (NL)
Chappe & Gessalin was a French coachbuilding company founded in 1932. In the early 1950s they started experimenting with lightweight fiber glass bodies, which resulted in contracts for producing bodies for Alpine (most notably the A108 2+2 and A110 GT4 models), Panhard CD and Rene Bonnet Djet among others. From 1966 Chappe & Gessalin started manufacturing complete cars under the CG banner, competing with the sportscars made by their patrons.
The CG cars were based on the rear engined Simca platform, first that of the the basic Simca 1000 model, later that of the more powerful Simca 1200 S coupe and Simca 1000 Rallye 2 (with 1300 cc engine). Styling of the CG models was reminiscent of the Alpine, though CG argued that it was an evolution of the design Jean Gessalin made for the first Alpine A106. Production numbers remained limited, about 405 cars were produced until the end in 1974. Of those the 1200 S model was the most successful with around 280 made, of which just 33 were spiders like the car shown here.